The supply of knives and bladed instruments is heavily restricted. This includes some types of knives that are illegal to sell to anybody.
- It is illegal to sell knives to a person under the age of 18 years.
- It is illegal to market knives in any way that indicates that it is suitable for combat or to stimulate or encourage violent behaviour.
- All of the above offences carry an unlimited fine, up to six months in prison or both in a Magistrates Court.
- There are defences available to sellers if they can show, for instance, that the knife was intended for the armed forces, or was an antique or curio.
- The main defence of taking all reasonable precautions and exercising due diligence is available.
- It is illegal to sell certain types of knives to anyone, whether or not they are under the age of 18 years.