The aim of this two-day course is to provide advanced practical training for anyone engaging in or contemplating under age sales enforcement. The course will include live test purchasing in a retail environment in the local community. The course will enable participants to confidently lead under age sales enforcement activity, plan and effectively deploy test purchasing operations, understand health & safety and risk assessment requirements, have knowledge of equipment and surveillance rules and regulations, undertake analysis and investigation of company due diligence systems, advise businesses on under age sales prevention and maintain effective records and policies on under age sales enforcement activity. The course carries CPPD Allocation for 10 hours. The course includes a free copy of our leading publication the Law of Age Restricted Goods in England and Wales.
Pay by Debit/Credit Card or PayPal - add number of delegates to basket and go to the checkout
Pay by Purchase Order - email the purchase order number to firstname.lastname@example.org together with the names of the delegates. We will accept PO's dated in 2017/8 or 2018/9 if that assists with budget planning.
Aimed at Law Enforcement and Community Safety Professionals engaged in tackling the sale of age restricted goods to children and young people. This includes Trading Standards Officers, Police Officers, Community Safety Officers, Licensing Officers and Town/District Centre Managers. The course is also suitable for legal professionals working in the retail sector or in private practice. The course is not intended for those practicing in Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of the course is to provide advanced practical training for anyone engaging in or contemplating under age sales enforcement. The course will enable participants to confidently lead enforcement activity, plan and effectively deploy test purchasing operations, undertake analysis and investigation of company due diligence systems, advise businesses on age restrictions and maintain effective records and policies.
By the end of the training, delegates will:
- Be able to identify and explain why some products are age restricted.
- Have the ability to identify and categorise age restricted products and refer to relevant legislation.
- Describe and apply the Framework and Codes of Practice relevant to Age Restricted Enforcement (published by Regulatory Delivery).
- Have awareness of age verification techniques, including the PASS Proof of Age Standards Scheme and developments in technology including PAS 1296:2018 (Online age checking).
- Be able to effectively plan and deploy under age sales enforcement activity in accordance with the relevant Codes of Practice, case law and legislation (including health and safety and employment of children legislation).
- Be equipped with practical experience of undertaking a test purchase operation in a live retail environment.
- Have the ability to describe the strategic context within which under age sales enforcement sits.
- Be able to confidently analyse, investigate and advise on effective business due diligence systems relating to under age sales.
Skills gained by attending
- A detailed understanding of Age Restricted Sales legislation.
- Planning and execution of enforcement activity, including risk assessment, safety procedures and compliance with the national code of practice.
- An understanding of Retail Due Diligence systems for age restricted goods.
- An understanding of officers powers and duties relating to age restricted goods.
- Ability to judge effective prevention mechanisms and proportionate enforcement action.
- Practical experience of test purchasing exercises in a live environment.
Tony Allen CTSP, MCTSI Specialist in Age Restricted Laws and Practice
John Cassin DCA, MCTSI Specialist Operational Lead for Under Age Sales
The Cost of the full course (2 days) is only £199 + vat per delegate making this excellent value for 10 hours CPPD.